A chef preparing a dish made from cobra flesh died after the snake bit his hand - 20 minutes after he had severed it from its body.
Peng Fan from Foshan, Guangdong province, southern China, had been preparing a special dish made from Indochinese spitting cobra, a rare delicacy.
It was as he went to chuck the cobra's head in the bin that it bit him, injecting Mr Peng with its flesh-killing, neurotoxic venom.
The snake was being diced up to be made into snake soup, which is a delicacy in Guangdong and a much sought after dish in the province's high-end restaurants.
Restaurant guest Lin Sun, 44, who was in the restaurant with his wife Su at the time said: 'We were in the restaurant having a meal for my wife's birthday when suddenly there was a lot of commotion.
'We did not know what was happening but could hear screams coming from the kitchen.
'There were calls for a doctor in the restaurant but unfortunately by the time medical assistance arrived the man had already died.
'After we heard that we did not continue with our meal. FULL STORY
follow us on facebook